Code of Practice

Carmel College has agreed to observe and be bound by the The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International learners) Code of Practice 2021.  Copies of the Code of Practice 2021 are available at:

We are sure that your daughter’s time at Carmel College will be a happy one.  However, should you have any difficulties or concerns the Director of International Students should be contacted in the first instance so that the school’s internal grievance procedures can be implemented.  If you feel your problem is not being solved by the school, you can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) Phone 0800 697-296 or

If it is a financial or contractual dispute, you can contact FairWay Resolution by phone on 0800 00 66 75.  More information is available on the Fairway Resolution website: Complaints is an independent dispute resolution scheme established by the New Zealand Government to encourage swift settlement of contractual and financial disputes between international students and their providers in New Zealand.  You must be able to show them that you have tried to get the school to act before you contact them. They will consult the school to see if anything can be done to help you. 

Immigration:  Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Eligibility for Health Services: Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand.  If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.  Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident Insurance:  The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you still may be liable for all other medical and related costs.  Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at

Medical and Travel Insurance Requirements

The Code requires all International Students to have Comprehensive Medical and Travel Insurance from the time the Student leaves her home country until the time they return to their home country following completion of their study. Insurance must: 

  • Commence when leaving home for the airport, while in transit and within New Zealand or trips to other destinations and holidays back to their home country.
  • Contain high sums insured (from $1,000,000.00 to unlimited cover, full medical, optical and dental cover plus a low excess).
  • Include emergency evacuation and repatriation, personal effects and accompanying relative cover – unlimited cover.
  • Ensure personal effects are covered and person liability can be met – unlimited cover.  If a student caused a house fire e.g. through careless use of candles, heaters, cooking etc. the student would be approached to pay the damage.  In homes today this could be in excess of $1,000,000.00.
  • Address continuation should a student have to interrupt their studies.

Pre-existing medical conditions must be stated at the time of application, prior to purchasing any insurance policy.

Carmel College will not accept policies taken out overseas.  Students purchasing insurance through a New Zealand insurer should purchase insurance cover which matches or is of higher value than the Southern Cross Comprehensive Policy. 

NB: Students must provide evidence of medical and travel insurance on enrolment.  The school will keep a record of the Insurance Policy number and the type of cover provided.