“I will show you my faith by my works” (James 2:18)
At Carmel College, one of our Core Mercy values is Service. In 2019 all students from Year 7-13 are expected to complete community service hours each year.
Carmel College requires students to complete service hours because:
- Service is central to the core Mercy and Gospel values and to authentic Christian leadership.
- Students will be able to assist people in our community who need help.
- Students will gain valuable social and leadership skills which will help them in their futures.
- Many employers set great value on young people who have shown an interest in helping others simply for the sake of it.
Hours of service should meet the following criteria:
- it must be unpaid
- not for immediate family (chores at home don’t count!)
- it must benefit other people
- it must be in your own time
Required hours of Service in 2019 to meet requirements for service award:
- Year 7 & 8 students – 10 hours
- Year 9 & 10 students – 15 hours
- Year 11, 12, 13 students – 20 hours
Examples of service in the community could include working bees at your local primary school or parish, helping at after school or holiday programmes, helping with the garden/ rubbish/ cleaning/ lawns etc for elderly neighbours. Students could also choose to do service for the school such as coaching a junior sports team, tutoring another student, PTFA events e.g. Art Fusions and joining in with service opportunities at school.
All students will be required to complete a log of their service hours outlining where they completed the service, dates, type of service and a contact person. They will also complete a written reflection about the service they have done. Both the log template and the reflection question will be posted as an assignment in the year level google classroom.
Any questions that you have about the Service Programme should be directed to your Religious Education teacher.
Service hours and reflection due: Friday 27th September – end of Term 3 2019