Mercy women see the need and make a difference
At Carmel College, one of our Core Mercy values is Service. All students from Year 7-13 are expected to complete community service hours each year.
Carmel College requires students to complete service hours because:
- Service is central to the core Mercy and Gospel values and to authentic Christian leadership. ‘I will show you my faith by my works’ James 2:18
- Students will be able to assist people in our community who need help.
- Students will gain valuable social and leadership skills which will help them in their futures.
- Many employers set great value on young people who have shown an interest in helping others simply for the sake of it.
Hours of service should meet the following criteria:
- it must be unpaid
- not for immediate family (chores at home don’t count!)
- it must benefit other people
- it must be in your own time
Required hours of service to meet requirements for service award
- Year 7 & 8 students – 10 hours
- Year 9 & 10 students – 15 hours
- Year 11, 12, 13 students – 20 hours
Examples of service in the community could include working bees at your local primary school or parish, helping at after school or holiday programmes, helping with the garden/ rubbish/ cleaning/ lawns etc. for elderly neighbours. Students could also choose to do service for the school such as coaching a junior sports team, PTFA events e.g. ArtFusions, joining in with service opportunities at school.
All students will be required to complete a log of their service hours outlining where they completed the service, dates, type of service, and a contact person. They will also complete a reflection about the service they have done. Both the log template and the reflection questions will be posted as an assignment in the year level google classroom. You can use the table on the next page to keep track of your hours and get your service signed off. See google classroom for more details.
Any questions that you have about the Service Programme should be directed to your Religious Education teacher or the Service Coordinator, Angela Garrett (email@example.com).
Service hours and reflection due:
- Year 7-13 – due end of Term 3 (check Google Classroom for confirmed date).